Friday, February 26, 2010

In the thick of it



... So it's been a pretty long couple days here... the snow has almost literally trapped me inside... I needed to paint something for myself. I've been experimenting with different techniques, styles, mediums... really trying to explore the possibilities and making sure no stone is left unturned, besides the nagging void within... that reminds me there is something more... something that proves so far to be unattainable. But I pursue, much like today, experimenting with different approaches to layering Oil paint... different colored underpaintings, different brush strokes... different density... just to see if some kind of Eureka experience would prevail. No such luck... but failed experiments eliminate a huge chunk of what was seemingly limitless possibilities before college, since then I've managed to play with nearly every medium and technique I can imagine. Perhaps not so ironic... I always come back to my comfortable Oil Painting technique. Learning the steps is one thing... but it's the subtleties that make it work so well, at least that's how I feel.

... I'll admit though... painting... always feels like I'm searching for something an arm's length away... but unfortunately, it stays an arm's length away. It's frustrating... it's motivating... spiritual... confusing... as my good friend say's: "it's like crawling through a swamp" ... or in my case, snow.

No comments: